Wednesday 25 July 2007

Beware of approaching deadlines!

Buried under a mountain of paperwork I see the deadline approaching.

Jan, bless him, phoned up after my last message and earnestly advised me of the staggeringly high mortality ate amongst single foreign travellers. Romania's little secret. Well, you've got to go sometime, somewhere (isn't that a song?).

I am now giving half a thought to packing. On a 2 month trip to Asia I once took just carry-on luggage. I can't remember being inconvenienced at all. In 1983 I took 50kgs which included pretty much everything (a tent, a back-up tent and bivvy-bag, sleeping bag, clothes, shoes, flare gun with 8 rounds, cassette player, 15 cassettes, maps, books, camera, rechargeable batteries, battery recharger, voltage adapter - you get the idea) and can pretty much only remember it being a huge pain. Got me fit though!

So I favour the eclectic minimalist approach now:

Camera. Okay it's a target for thieves but it includes a video function and takes nice pictures. When I stop adding pictures you'll know it's been ripped off.

USB flash drive. Or whatever you want to call it - 1Gb of storage for freeing up my camera memory and bringing with me the tools of my trade. How many of you can say they can fit their tools into something the size of a packet of chewing gum?

Jandals, or flip flops. It's hot in Romania and Hungary: real hot! And wet in the UK: real wet. What copes better than jandals? Plus Diana is hoping I'll lose them and the stores here never stock them again. Not their number one fan, that girl. One of her favourite pastimes is throwing away my crappy clothes. Full time job though.

Clothes, 2 sets. One for walking in, one for being respectable in, all things being relative. Two sets, five weeks. Too many sets?

Flag. Not that I'm one for flag waving, but it may pique curiosity and lead to more lifts. NZ flag that is. UK flag is sadly now with the US flag in attracting a kick to the nadgers, I suspect.

Toilet paper. Say no more.

Rucksack. Of course

Wallet. Cheap one for pickpockets, normal one for me. Why am I doing this - I'm sure Romanians and Hungarians are nice people? Um, that's it.. any suggestions?

No comments: